moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Since I missed out again...

Managing softball, and going to New York on the weekends is very tough. But because of previous commitments to the team I often find myself missing out being in NYC with you guys :( While you were all off having a late night in Brooklyn I was in the suite reading Death of a Salesman. Although I don't like reading I found that book kind of interesting. The problems that the Loman's have in their everyday lives are a lot like the problems many Americans are facing today. The struggle to find and keep a successful job! Willie is a struggling dictionary salesman, if someone today was to go door to door selling dictionaries I don't think that they would fare out to well. With the tough economic times then just like they are now Willie found himself struggling to make ends meet and that got him very depressed thinking he wasn't supplying for his family like he was supposed to. Biff Loman's problem isn't struggling at his job, his problem is finding a job. Today it is very hard to find a job, believe me I've tried... so i feel Biff's pain. Anyway I really enjoyed Death of a Salesman because I felt due to the times we live in today I could relate to some of the events that occured in the book !.... I hope you guys had a good time in Brooklyn, I'm pretty sure I'll be on the next trip into the city <3

No comments:

Post a Comment