moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Our Follies in New York City!!!



On September the 3rd, 2011 our Broadway and Beyond class embarked on our first Broadway adventure. For the first time in my life I walked through the streets of New York City without the assistance of my more experienced relatives. Amazingly during our theatrical hunt Rachel, Katie, and I managed to not only find our hidden junior fellow but only lost our way once! For one who has never ventured into New York, The city is full of interesting sounds, sights, experiences, and defiantly is not for the faint of heart. Often you will be hassled by those less fortunate then yourself and followed by a constant barrage of men with flyers, pamphlets and advertisements whose singular goal is to get a piece of you. By far the most interesting part of the city is the theater district, which at times it may seem as if you entered the past, with old and new architecture crafted to look as though one grew from another. As we finished our hunt the three of us arrived at the Marque Theater with barely suppressed glee. Follies was not what I expected at all. While amazing, I thought there would be a more extravagant costumes and during the flashbacks to the past the set was not as glamorous as I believe the Follies girls deserved. Overall for me Elaine Page stole the show right out from under Bernadette Peter’s feet, the character of Phyllis was powerful and relatable, while Sally was disconnected in a way and lacked something that I can’t quite put my finger on.

1 comment:

  1. Kristin, The pictures you took were sooo cute (: The description you gave of the city and the time you had there is so vivid i feel like i was there with you guys haha! How did you like the show ? I'm sad i couldnt go oh well we have next time <3

    ReplyDelete