moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MaAfA rEfLecTioN

Though The MAAFA Suite seemed to last forevvverrrr, I am glad that I was able to experience it all the same. Yes, the twisted faces of the actors were unbearable to look at; the pain of their ancestors was clearly evident. I felt heated embarrassment every time they looked at me. I felt as though being white myself meant that I too held the blame for the hatred and cruelty that infested the slave trade. Nevertheless, it was a worthwhile show. I not only felt that I better understood the history and impacts of slavery, but African culture as well.
During the show, I was most impressed with the dances. Dance always seems to captivate me, despite my lack in talent. I was engaged and emotionally intrigued when the performers danced on the stage. I was dazzled by the number of people that could move so exactly, that they did not collide with one another. The dances were energetic: colorful clothing set the upbeat mood, left feet danced around right feet, toes kicked high up into the air.
Watching the twenty or so teenagers dance in unison ignited a longing in me to be a part of it. I wanted to be part of a culture like that -where traditions and dances centuries old were still practiced. But I am not African. Not to mention super white. So joining The MAAFA Suite 2012 was obviously not an option. I decided to dig into my own roots this weekend and go to Celtic Fest.
Of course the first thing I wanted to see was the dancers. I saw The Lord of the Dance when I was younger and absolutely loved it. Every time somebody came to the house to visit I showed them my moves. The dance company that was performing at the festival consisted of several national champions; four of them were nine years old. It was somewhat disappointing to see modern outfits rather than traditional ones, but culture shined through in their dancing.
Being surrounded by the men and kilts and girls with heads full of ringlets was what I had been searching for since we watched MAAFA Suite. Like the Performance in a local Baptist church, the Celtic festival in downtown Bethlehem was an attempt to keep traditions alive. In the show, stories such as that of the Djembe were passed down through generations so that the history of the drum and how it was made would not be lost in the folds of slavery. Likewise, the Irish told old wives tales at the festival in hope that it would rejuvenate a branch of the culture that has been slowly fading.
If I had not seen The MAAFA Suite and the pride of the actors who revitalized a long history of culture, I do not think I would have discovered my longing to understand my own history and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment