moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Leaving Traces and Twirling our Hair


September 10th marks the second adventure in New York for 6H! (and friends)

After waking up again at 6a.m, what did we do this time?

Around the city...

We visited the Tenement Museum in the morning. No, it doesn't have anything to do with Broadway, but I found it pretty educational. Life in New York in the early 1900s was not all so Broadway- glamorous everywhere.
After the tour, we had free time in Little Italy--my first time there. Everyone stopped for lunch...and yes, we got cannolis. Yum! It started to rain a bit. Good thing I had an umbrella! With everyone combined, we walked around with a huge, colorful shield above our heads. Thankfully the rain didn't last long as we made our way to our first show of the afternoon~

TRACES
3pm, it's time to see Traces, an off-Broadway acrobatic performance. I knew very little about it, but once the show started, was educated very quickly! The seven performers stepped right into action within their opening number:

And they continued to impress the audience with multiple numbers, comical moments, and their "don't give up" attitude. I was blown away! I would absolutely see this again. The stunts ranged in so many ways--using furniture, poles, matts, rings...or even just dancing beautifully with each other.

HAIR

After walking from 17th to 44th street so we knew where the next theatre was, we had some free time. The streets were slowly becoming more and more crowded. Tired and hungry, a few friends and I stopped for dinner at T.G.I Fridays, and could all but rave about the food! It was actually really, really good. Happy with full tummies, we ventured around...
3 whole floors of Forever 21, making notes of fashionable clothing to buy next time we're around.
Still having some time left before the show, we stopped in another store. The Disney Store. Love! I felt like a kid again, as I usually do, being a major Disney fan. Reluctant to leave, we made it to the St James theatre.


I was constantly reminded to prepare myself for Hair. Easy to know why, after seeing it. I can imagine how controversial the show must have been in the 70's.
The vocals, on one hand, were stunning. Everyone was on-point and brought a great value of tones to the songs.
The sets of course were colorful, and I thought it was great how the band was set up on pieces of the stage itself, instead of in a pit in front of the stage!

It was the closing night of Hair. The audience was exhilarated and constantly cheering long and loud, encouraging their beloved performers. It was something special, and wonderful to be apart of.

1 comment:

  1. Of course your blog post is so organized, because like i said before you are good at everything haha (: I wish I could have attended to go to Little Italy.. im obsessed with cannolis <3 Did you have fun at the museum ? I totally forgot you guys went there, but out the the 2 shws you guys saw on saturday which one was your favorite ?

    ReplyDelete