moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The MAAFA: A Cultural Experience

From a purely technical stand point the Maafa suite had major problems, microphones didn't go on at the right times, crew members were often seen running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and the gaps between scenes seemed to last a life time. I do however give my complements to the cast for the ability to dance for four hours straight and be as lively at the ends as at the beginning. I love the reasons behind shows like Maafa, but feel that this particular proformance was slightly over the top. From a historical prospective the show was good, not necessarily completely accurate, but it most have taken an amazing amount of research needed for the show, my favorite being the African folk lore and drums! Unfortunately the show was ruined for me due to the extreme length of the show and at points during the show the cast and audience were condoning the slaughter of children because of the color of their skins.Isn't that what they were trying to condem the white people for? Now they themselves are saying its OK.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, the pink font made me want to read this more haha! But after reading it, it made me sort of glad I didn't go. I think that you and I have very similar views when it comes to the shows we see, so if you didn't enjoy it, I probably wouldn't have either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of forgot to mention the bad parts... mainly because its easier to just say it was good than to think of the parts that sucked... anyway yeah so I was extremely scared at the end and if it hadn't been for my lack of sleep and nyquil dosage, I would have walked out much earlier. But anyway, yeah they were cheering for the white people getting killed... It didn't necessarily bother me that it was in the script and that the people on stage were doing it as much as it bothered me that the people in the audience were cheering them on....


    was hot as hell btw. and I had the world's hottest fever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definately agree 100%, for my blog I just focused on the good parts mostly, but the show was most certainly over the top, and a bit frightful.

    ReplyDelete