moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

This Gets A Little Weirder Each Time...




I don't know how many of you reading this have ever tried to call a cab in the middle of a protest, but let me tell you-it isn't easy or fun. This trip to New York was a lot different than the several that I have made in the past. Both the shows and the overall experience were not what I expected to be a part of and I feel that in all, it has broadened my knowledge of New York itself.

Upon entering the city, we made our first stop uptown at the Lincoln Center. Seeing their various theaters for the different individual areas of performing arts was incredible. Had we been allowed to take photos inside the theaters, I think I would still be there now. My favorite theater that we saw was the jewelry box theater where Black Swan was filmed. It really did look like a jewelry box and it was enormous.

After visiting the theaters, we had some free time and then we were off to our first show, Other Desert Cities. This show was not what I expected it to be, but I was right when I mentioned that the mother in the film reminded me of Rizzo from Grease--it was her (Carrie Fisher)! I feel honored to have seen her perform live--she really is a great actress. This is a photo of the set (the family's west coast home):

1 comment:

  1. So true that these shows were quite different..I enjoyed them though. I loved the set for Other Desert Cities! Nice picture :)

    ReplyDelete