moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Endings With A Punch!

On this past journey into the city, I experienced my first two straight, Broadway plays. But before I get into that, I got to tour the Lincoln Center. The Lincoln Center is the home of the Met Opera, the NY Philharmonic, and the NYC Ballet. We got to tour every theatre, but the Met which was disappointing because they were getting ready to film a live performance.

The first show we saw was Other Desert Cities and it was a very emotional ride. It was a play with five actors, but within each actor there was such power and presence on the stage. The set was made to look like a realistic house, in fact it was so realistic the fireplace had real fire coming from it! The most powerful part about the show was that every character's movement, body language and action had a purpose to it. The actors were outstanding and the work they did made the story that more enticing and powerful.

The second play we saw was Venus in Fur where there were only two actors performing. This proved to be even more of a challenge than the five people in Other Desert Cities because they had to keep our attention and keep us entertained for and hour and thirty minutes. It was one man and one woman and they pulled it off. The woman was so highly energized the whole show, I really do not know how she kept it up- it was a demanding role that constantly had to be on top of its feet. The core of their success in this show was the actors ability to keep their energy up and sustain it throughout the entirety of the performance.

What I loved about seeing these two plays were the endings of the shows. During the last few seconds of the ending scene, there was a beautiful moment where everything clicked in my mind and it brought the show to a complete ending. It may not have answered all the key questions, but rather, it was left open for the audience members own interpretation and reaction. That is what made me say, "Wow, this play was really amazing". The ending in Venus in Fur made me realize what was really happening the entire time and I was so excited when I figured it out. Other Desert Cities left me in an emotional state that was satisfactory to the events that occurred in the show. I will always remember these two plays because they were my first, and the endings packed a punch!

No comments:

Post a Comment