moravian home | about moravian

Moravian First Year Seminars in NYC

Throughout the fall semester of 2011, Moravian College students enrolled in the first-year seminars "The Great Museums of New York" and "Broadway and Beyond: NYC Plays, Players, and Playwrights" will reflect here on what they've learned as they have traveled throughout New York City.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Stuck In a Protest and a Great Jazz Show


After a good day at the Cloisters and Metropolitan Museum of Art we had nearly 5 and a half hours of free time. Being from New York I was standing on the sidewalk thinking what am I going to do with all this time. As I normally do in New York City, I attempted my usual wandering around until I figure something out. This weekend was different. Since the Occupy Wall Street Protest was taking over it was nearly impossible to move anywhere. After being stuck on the sidewalk of 7th avenue in Times Square for nearly 20 minutes trying to move as everyone was standing still because of the stupid protest I wandered uptown for as long as I needed to in order to get around the protest. I ended up walking down to 9th avenue on 44th street to get out of the crowds. I ended up walking to 54th street back across town to 6th avenue to come back down to the opposite side of 44th street of Times Square then I was before. After this long out of the way journey to the restraunt of my choice; Virgil's Southern BBQ, I had a nice barbecue dinner at my favorite resturant sitting at a family's friend's bar stool who passed away nearly 12 years ago.
After my dinner I continued my wandering. I walked over to the two local jazz clubs in the area, Birdland, and The Iridium, to see what was going on that night. I ended up going to The Iridium. Wearing my Moravian College sweatshirt I was able to get my ticket at a student price, so instead of paying $35 to get in I only had to pay $17. I had no clue about what I was going to get myself into. All I knew was that I was seeing a Japanesse Fusion Guitar player by the name of Kazumi Watanabe. The people sitting around me were very friendly asking about where the college is and why i was in New York. Soon I found out that the couple sitting next to me came all the way from Chicago to see this guitar player. Apparently he hasn't played New York For 30 years. I made the right choice to go see this show. It was very enjoyable, if it was possible for me to go see him again I probably would.

No comments:

Post a Comment